Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Flight to Guangzhou

The morning of May 31st was spent packing as we prepared to leave Nanchang for Guangzhou. We lost internet connection early that afternoon because our guides had arranged a later check out but there was some mix up and we were locked out of our room. We managed to flag down a housekeeper and get the door open but no luck with the internet.
We left for the airport about 4:30. I don't know what came over me but I got a little emotional on the bus ride. Just the reality of leaving Mia's province coupled with the fact that I'm still in awe that China gave me a baby. I know it's a whole lot more complicated than that. They didn't just "give" me a baby. I worked pretty dang hard to get her. But there are moments when it still feels so surreal. Then there are other moments when I feel like I've known her my whole life. 
Our guide, Sissi, sang us some Chinese songs on the drive. She has a beautiful voice. I think that's also part of what got me so emotional. All these thoughts of China up against the background music of Sissi's haunting voice.  We had to leave her at the airport. She lives in Nanchang and didn't accompany us to Guangzhou like Grace did.

Sissi is a part of my daughter's history and took such good care of us during our 6 days in Nanchang. She'll always have a special place in my heart. Thank you, Sissi!
I was a little nervous about how Mia would do on the flight. Thank goodness it was just a short test run of only about 90 minutes. She did pretty good. Only one meltdown when she gave all the sleepy signals but refused to succumb to the rocking that usually puts her to sleep. Instead she showed the front half of the plane her spicy Jiangxi temper. It wasn't pretty. We finally gave up. As soon as we sat her upright the little demon instantly stopped crying and broke out in a smile. I think she was smirking about winning that battle. Boy... am I gonna be in trouble with this girl.

We got to the hotel very late. It was well after 9pm. We were all pretty fried. The exhaustion is starting to set in and it didn't help that we got off the plane to 89 degree humidity. When we got to the hotel, our room was wrong. I'd requested two beds when the reservations were made. The first night we spent in Guangzhou last Monday they'd given us a king. We told them it was wrong but agreed to let it slide since we were only staying the two nights and then going to Nanchang.

Carla just put a pillow in the middle of the bed as the boundary line and we stayed on our own sides. We didn't want to wake up in the middle of the night and find ourselves spooning each other. LOL! But when we checked out, we reminded them of our request for when we returned. They assured us it would be corrected. I'm sure you know where this is going, right?

It wasn't. And there were no rooms available in the entire freaking hotel with 2 beds. I was already grumpy then add in sweating and tired with a crying baby strapped to my chest. Now it was almost 10pm at night since it was taking so long to check in our group. Let's just say I didn't show my best self.

But ... we ended up in a suite. So even though we still have to share a bed at least we're doing so in a much bigger, nicer room. LOL!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice upgrade!! Woohoo. Sorry about still having to share a bed, but what a nice room!

I remember the heat in GZ. Got off the plane in a sweater after being in rainy Changsha early in the am, then arriving in the Chinese equivalent of Miami. Hungry, tired, irritated, and then having to be in a crowded exam room only to find out that my new daughter had bronchitis and needed antibiotics (which I knew in Changsha, but our guide told us to wait until GZ-grrr!!!) I was NOT a happy camper by the time we got to the hotel.

Ang said...

Just think...a few more days and you will be home in your very own bed and with baby toys all over your living room..just like life should be!!

GGHadden said...

Looks like a great room! Enjoy these next few days, they will fly by. Did you get a bulkhead for the plane trip home? Sounds like little miss likes to show her independence...
welcome to the club :)

Proud Parents of Halainah Grace said...

I just had to stop in and leave a comment. First, Congrats on your beautiful daughter! We adopted our daughter in Jan. 2009 from Jiangxi. Sissi was also our guide and she also has a very special place in my heart. I still remember that haunting bus ride to the airport with Sissi. It was so very hard to say goodbye to her. We still keep in touch with her via Facebook. We are also returning to China in August to adopt our second daughter. We will not be going back to Jiangxi and I already know that no one can compare to Sissi. Enjoy the rest of your trip. If Guangzhou is already 90 degrees, I can only imagine what it will be like in August. I'm looking forward to following the rest of your Journey.
PS...our daughter...now 3 1/2 still has her spicy attitude.
So excited for you,
Deanna

Kelli said...

I cried as we flew out of Aiden's province. But? I cried the ugly cry as we left Vietnam. Just so you know:). I'd say that's a pretty good trade off for no 2 bed rooms!

KJS said...

I cried when we left Nanchang too. Just thinking of leaving the place where she was born made me so sad. Hugs and soon you will be home.

Laurie said...

Krista, I look forward to your posts so much! It's like I'm sharing your journey and reliving mine.

If time allows, you'll want to visit the Minghui Jade Plaza (I think it's on Walking Street in Guangzhou?) and the Longtime Jewelry Trade Center (maybe Pedestrian Street? Hua Mei pearls are wholesale priced-top floor) If nothing else, just to see them as I know you've already bought pearls and jade! :)

It doesn't look like your swanky hotel is on Shamian Island. I hope you get to spend some more time there (I know you've already been to the Cow & B). We loved it so much: the shops, the bridal shoots, the greenery, Lucy's, the old European architecture.

Enjoy every minute and drink it all in. It will be over so quickly.

Anonymous said...

Hi Krista! I've been a long-time reader who has never commented before. I am so very happy for you. Mia is absolutely wonderful!! What a happy, spunky, sweet little personality she has. I have loved every single one of your posts. We were in Nanchang in January of 2010 to adopt our daughter. Sissi was also our guide, and we too hold her in a special place in our hearts. She is such a fantastic person! Wishing you all the best during this last leg of your trip. Blessings to you and your daughter. Congratulations!!!

Wendy Baron

Sarah in MT said...

Oh, your house will be so interesting over the next few years - especially when Mia hits those fun teenage years. Two independent, strong willed women in the same house! Sure hope you keep up the blog to share it all with us - makes me feel like I'm living on easy street!

Elaine said...

I threw a fit royale under similar circumstances on one of our adoption trips. (I'm guessing it happens often.) But did not score a suite. Good work! Enjoy GZ.

K said...

I thought I'd feel emotional about leaving China, but it hit me, like it did you, when I left Nanchang with my daughter. It is such an indescribable feeling, isn't it?

I love your posts and pictures. Now that I've been there, it's all so familiar and I long to go back.

Post a Comment